Monday, October 29, 2007

Pumpkin Gingerbread

With our visit to the Pumpkin Patch the other day (see post here) I was reminded about this yummy recipe for Pumpkin Gingerbread. I got this recipe originally from my sister, Judi, and I am not sure where she got it. It is a recipe that you will often smell baking in both our kitchens in the fall.


Today I made a double batch and it produced two large loaves, 4 small loaves and 24 mini muffins. I am planning on using some tonight for a meeting and freezing what does not get eaten before it cools for an event next week.


Pumpkin Gingerbread
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
15 ounces pumpkin
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1. Beat together sugar, oil, eggs and water.
2. Mix together in a separate bowl pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Mix this with the first mixture.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until blended.
4. Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans or 6 small loaf pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour (large pans) or 35 - 40 minutes for small pans
****UPDATE**** I made this again with 1/2 the oil and replaced the other half with applesauce. They turned out just fine - maybe a tad bit denser than the original, but yummy just the same. I also took my sister's suggestion and added a cup of chocolate chips. Yummy!!!!! Troy really liked the new version - so will probably become standard fare at our house! Thanks for the ideas, Marian!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could substitute some of the oil with applesauce.

I was just talking to Brian today about sending him some pumpkin bread. I'll have to try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make this this afternoon and substitute some of the flour with whole grain pastry flour. I'll try reducing the sugar too and let you know how it comes out.