Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Steak with Cauliflower and Baby Greens

I subscribe to Martha Stewart's magazine Everyday Food. It has some good recipes in it and I like to try new recipes. This week I picked two recipes from the November issue to try. The name of the first one is "Flat Iron Steak with Cauliflower and Arugula". I made my own variation of it - I used strip steaks and baby greens instead of just the arugula (the bag I bought at Trader Joes did include arugula) Troy and I really enjoyed this dish - Anna on the other hand was not thrilled but she did like the "broccoli" (cauliflower). It was really a very simple dish and I thought very good for the ease! I have taken the liberty of changing the name since I did change the ingredients.

Steak with Cauliflower and Baby Greens

4 small flat iron steaks or strip steak
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 head cauliflower (cored and cut into small florets)
2 garlic cloves (smashed)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package baby greens
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler (1/4 cup)


Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper. Place in skillet, and cook until medium rare, 5-6 minutes per side (reduce heat if browning too quickly). Transfer to a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add cauliflower, garlic and 1/2 cup water to skille; st; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until cauliflower is browned and crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. (If bottom of skillet becomes too dry, add 1/4 cup more water.) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add greens, hot cauliflower, and Parmesan to dressing in bowl; toss (greens will wilt). Serve steaks and vegetables together.

0 comments: