Thursday, August 21, 2008

Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup and Easy Chicken Melts

I have not posted here for ages and not sure if anyone still checks in but I have a couple of recipes I used today that are really good and wanted to share them. I am on Weight Watchers and have been kind of stalled out for the summer with the adoption and all but trying to get back on track. One of these recipes is a great WW recipe - the others - well- judge for yourself :-)

Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup
from "The Food You Crave - Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life" by Ellie Krieger

4 cups fresh corn kernels or two 10 oz packages frozen corn thawed
2 cups nonfat milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
1 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound), diced
2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons

Put 2 cups of the corn and the milk into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining two cups corn and the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pureed corn and the tomatoes and cook until warmed through but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.

I did not use fresh corn and I imagine if I had it would have been even better. I used Trader Joes frozen roasted corn for the whole kernels and just plain frozen for the pureed corn.

For the broth I used my homemade chicken broth.

For anyone on WW this is 3 points for 1 1/2 cups of soup or free on the Core plan.

Easy Chicken Melts
from "Simple and Delicious" Sept/Oct 2008

1 can (9 3/4 ounces) chunk white chicken, drained and flaked (I used some baked chicken cut into chunks that I had frozen)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
2 plum tomatoes, sliced

In a small bowl, combine the chicken, 1/2 cup cheese, onion, green pepper, mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning and garlic. Spread over bread slices. Top each with a tomato slice, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until bread is toasted and golden brown.
Yeild: 5 servings



I

1 comments:

Redmom2005 said...

Okay, is this blog the BEST KEPT SECRET or what?!! I never knew you had it!! I will be sure to check out some of the recipes! What a great thing to do for us other moms!! These Chicken Melts look TERRIFIC!! It's making me hungry!!! I'm going to re-design my blog soon, and I will be sure to put THIS one on my list for other moms to check out!! GREAT idea, Ruth!!!