Saturday, December 1, 2007

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

With the threat of snow later today, beef stew seemed in order! I am headed to the grocery store to get the few ingredients that I do not have to make it and the shopping for the rest of my menu I have planned for this week. I made this stew a couple of weeks ago for company and they loved it! I found this recipe in my Nov/Dec 2007 Simple and Delicious magazine.

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
8 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound small red pototoes, quartered
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3/4 cup beef broth
1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

In a large skillet, brown beef on all sides. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and red pepper. Pour tomatoes over the top.
In a small bowl, whisk the flour, tomato paste and broth until smooth. Stir in the wine or additional broth, salt, garlic, pepper and thyme; pour into slow cooker. Top with beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Enjoy!

0 comments: